Sunday, June 01, 2008

Update on psychic testing

A while back, I mentioned that I'd hopefully be doing some trials with a friend who claims the existence of psychic powers etc. Yesterday we finally got round to doing some preliminaries.

The tests will be a lot less complex than I'd expected because, rather than testing for psychic communication between two believers (my friend and a third party), we're going to test his ability to channel energy through a pendulum into my hand. It'll be a straightforward "which hand am I holding the pendulum over" thing.

Protocol 1 (non-rigorous tomfoolery)

Our initial experiments were not terribly promising. I thought I could feel something the first time we did it, and guessed correctly. So far so good. However, I suspected that the "something" I could feel was in fact heat off my friend's hand, so for the second and third runs I covered each of my hands with a sheet of paper. I got both wrong.

Protocol 2 (slightly more rigorous)

At this point, my friend commented that, when he'd been mucking about with a fellow believer, the first run in any given sequence had generally been the most successful. He speculated that, after that point, there was some kind of psychic residue contaminating the experiment that took a while to wear off.

To eliminate this factor, we arranged a new protocol: every time we see each other (about once a week), we'll repeat the test once. For the moment, the only specific precaution against bias will be closed eyes and paper-covered hands. After five runs, we'll check the tally of results to see whether there's any statistically significant effect. If there is, we'll up the rigour. If not, we'll investigate other test options.

PS. To my friend's credit, he didn't use the "psychic residue" as an excuse for failure. In fact I had to persuade him not to include the initial negative results in the final tally.

What is a statistically significant effect?

The basic approach used for statistical testing is "significance levels". If something is "significant at the 5% level", that means that the chances of getting a false positive (an apparently significant result that appeared by accident) are 5%.

If there is no psychic effect then, over five trials, the probabilities of success are as follows:

P(5 correct guesses) = 1/32 = 3.1%
P(4 correct) = 5/32 = 15.6%
P(3 correct) = 10/32 = 31.2%
P(2 correct) = 10/32 = 31.2%
P(1 correct) = 5/32 = 15.6%
P(0 correct) = 1/32 = 3.1%

If we wanted to do a significance test at the 20% level, we would say that the result were significant if 4 or 5 successes appeared (since P(5)+P(4) < 20% < P(5)+P(4)+P(3)). This is a pretty damn easy hurdle to pass, so if we don't get 4 successes then there's probably not much point carrying on with this protocol.

If we wanted to do a success at the 5% level, we would say that the results were significant if 5 successes appeared (since P(5) < 20% < P(5)+P(4)). This is a slightly tougher hurdle - if we pass it (e.g. if we have 100% success rate) then it'll be worth applying stronger controls.

Protocol 2 scoreboard

Date: 1 June 08
Correct guesses: 0
Incorrect guesses: 0

5 comments:

Psiloiordinary said...

I think you guys ought to read "fads and fallacies" by Martin Gardner whihc has a fascinating chapter about this kind of testing.

It will perhaps highlight many statistical fallacies awaiting you if you are not careful.

Good luck in your endeavour.

Psi

Lifewish said...

Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can find a copy at the local library.

To be honest, I'm not massively worried about screwing up the statistics. I'm familiar enough with the techniques that I won't forget to carry the 1, and I'm familiar enough with pseudoscience that I'm not going to fall down any of the obvious manholes.

Of course, if we start getting strong positive results, I'll start researching the industrial-strength methodology needed to positively verify something like this.

Psiloiordinary said...

Ok.

Of course such an attitude of confidence is just what you need to really make a pigs ear of it.

:-)

:-)

Read the book and you will see what I mean.

Lifewish said...

This is true, and I'm well aware of the doctrine that intelligent people are easier to fool (because they're better at convincing themselves that something is true).

This is why I'm making a strict distinction between preliminary tests, informal tests and formal tests. If all but the formal tests give a positive result, that will tell me that the effect is not paranormal. And, if we get to the formal tests, I will not sign off the procedures until I have done a heapload of research.

It's not paranoia if they really might be out to get you :)

Psiloiordinary said...

Well said.

Good luck again.