Saturday, January 26, 2008

More ways not to communicate

So I'm in Oxford to meet up with a few friends from work, who are for some explicable reason meeting up a couple of towns over from our actual office. Should be a good evening - drinks at a pub, followed by a nice Lebanese restaurant.

Unfortunately, I get to Oxford before realising I was supposed to look up directions for the pub. Oops. I ask around, but no-one round the train station has ever heard of it.

Brainwave! I've got my mobile with me. I only have the one phone number, it being a new phone, but surely that should be good enough?

"We're sorry, but the person you called is not available right now. Please leave a message after the tone..." Dammit.

Ah, but hold on a sec, this new phone has 3G internet, doesn't it? The invite included the pub's website, so I can look up directions!

"Error: can't connect to network. Have a nice day..." Bugger.

As I write this, I'm sitting in a Coffee Republic, having walked halfway across Oxford trying to find somewhere with wifi. And I've just discovered that the pub is actually two blocks over from where I'm sitting.

Can we please just go back to the days of maps?

No comments: