Sunday, December 10, 2006

Driving update

The experiment appears to have worked. By thinking through my driving style carefully, I seem to have managed to stop myself stalling repeatedly. Certainly it hasn't happened since I wrote my last post on the subject.

So just throwing a little brainpower into the mix can be unbelievably effective at improving the Quality of my passage through life. In some ways I find this rather disturbing - how many other frustrations are there that I could easily cure with just a little thought? How much of my life have I wasted on a stimulus/response approach to affairs? How far have I been off the path of true virtue?

Speaking of virtue, I've lately been reading an abridged edition of Gibbon's seminal "Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire". I can thoroughly recommend it - the guy manages to squeeze a truly impressive amount of passion into his words. It's basically an historically accurate polemic - and Gibbon's focus is on virtue and its loss. Very inspiring, especially when taken with a side-order of the film "Gladiator" :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the driving! And, I don't know about Gibbon's book, but I'll definitely take a side-order of "Gladiator." :)